Saturday, February 13, 2010

The joy of working with ever-changing medium




(Top) Andy Goldsworthy's "Maple Leave Arrangement". As soon as the wind blows and the water moves, the leaves will re-arrange themselves and the moment will be ended.

(Bottom) A Tibetan Buddhist monk creates a Mandala out of colored sand. A sand mandala is ritualistically destroyed once it has been completed and its accompanying ceremonies and viewing are finished to symbolize the Buddhist doctrinal belief in the transitory nature of material life.

There is no "The End" to be written, neither can you,
like an architect, engrave in stone the day the garden
was finished; a painter can frame his picture, a composer
notate his coda, but a garden is always on the move.
- Mirabel Osler

3 comments:

Dan Silverstein said...

Sarah
Thanks for posting the photo and bit on my hero Andy Goldsworthy. I own three books of his and, until last night, hadn't opened one in a very long time. My creative juices are flowing once again. Also, thanks to you, I plan on spreading moss around my hood in the Spring.
Best,
Dan

Sarah said...

Thanks, Dan! I love love love Andy Goldsworthy. I like to look at his work when I get too entrenched in the mechanics of being a hort person...he brings me back to the conceptual and the temporal.
I'm enjoying your blog as well. Thanks for the support of my fledgling project!
Best,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I am also a huge Andy Goldworthy fan, he is a genius!!!!