Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Michigan




Though I live in New York City, a big chunk of my heart will always belong to Michigan, my home state. As even non-Michiganders know, the state is in big trouble. Massive unemployment and unprecedented numbers of foreclosures are forcing people to leave the state. Detroit, where I last lived before my Brooklyn move, is in need of special help. When I left in 2006, there were glimmers of progress. Housing developments, new independent businesses, and young people were all moving downtown. When I visited my old haunts in the summer of 2009, most of the new improvements that surrounded my block were boarded up.

I just wanted to share 2 links that I follow, with regard to Michigan.

1. Time magazine has been doing a year-long column on Detroit, maybe the hardest-hit of all cities in the US. It's called Assignment Detroit and is very well done. http://www.time.com/time/detroit

2. A group called "Let's Save Michigan" is hosting a WPA-style poster contest based on ideas for improving the state. The submissions to far as excellent and I'm thinking of submitting something myself. http://letssavemichigan.com/poster-contest

2 comments:

Stone Art's Blog said...

Wow that house looks amazing, something straight out of a scary chrildren's book!

Sarah said...

detroit is filled with these kinds of beautiful old houses that are falling apart. you can buy on for a couple of thousand dollars.
there have been known to be tumbleweeds and packs of wild dogs too...like the wild wild west.